1. Besan / Chickpea flour/ Kadala maavu – 1½ cup
2. Powdered sugar – 1 cup + 1 tbsp
3. Melted Ghee/Clarified Butter – ½ cup + 1 tbsp.
4. Cardamom/Elakka - 3
5. Slivered Almond/Any nuts(optional) To Garnish
Preparation Method: -
- Sift the besan flour and remove all the lumps. Set aside
- Grind cardamom with 1 tbsp sugar. Set aside.
- Heat up a Kadai/pan, make sure the heat is in low-medium.
- Add ¼ cup ghee to the pan, add besan flour slowly. Keep stirring as you add the flour fully.
- Roast besan well in medium flame until it turns golden brown in color and start to get an aroma of the flour. Make sure not to burn the flour.
- Move the ghee-besan mixture to a wide bowl or plate.
- Add the powdered sugar, add 2 tbsp of warm ghee. Mix well with a spatula to combine everything. Add more ghee as needed.
- Add cardamom powder. When it is warm enough to handle, mix well with hands to combine everything well.
- Take small portion of the mix and press well with hands to form a ball size ladoo.
- Repeat the process for rest of the mixture.
- Wash the hands at the end and wipe well to dry.
- Spread a quarter spoon of ghee in the hand. Take each ladoo and smoothen them by rotating it in the circular motion.
- Garnish with slivered almonds or cashews or raisins. Serve them for this Diwali ! :) :)